Sunday, March 9, 2008

Crashed Hard Drives Data Recovery Big Business

Over my 20 years of computer repair, it is safe to say that I have had to replace 1 defective hard drive a week. That's 52 a year, so that's 1000 hard drives give or take. It is also safe to say that 20% of those crashed hard drives did not even phase the customer. Maybe 60% just considered it a hassle. But that leaves another 20% that were almost in tears because they filled it with family photos or work documents with out any form of data backup.

The purpose of this article is to cover a few backup options along with the cost associated with it. You will be surprised at the worst case scenario.

I'm willing to bet that every one smart enough to find this article has a CD burner on there computer. Right there you have no excuse for not backing up your files, but it is time consuming. The CDs need to organized to some extent and they are susceptible to scratches, nicks and heat. So while it is an option, it is not to practical.

Personally I pay about $9 a month for web hosting. With this I can simply set up a folder that is password protected on the server. Then every few days I connect to it and upload my whole drive by dragging and dropping. Take a FTP program of your choice and tell it to copy only the newer files and it's just that easy. What's that? $108 a year? Even then my hosting company backs up my backup while I can tend to the various blogs and sites I maintain.

Tag: How to Format Data Recovery from Installation Repair Software Seagate External Maxtor Seagate IDE External Internal HardDrive Western Western Digital USB Disaster

No comments: